Monday, April 5, 2010

Dear Tim: Daddy's Shoes


Dear Tim,

You have my husband to thank for this one. As we were watching your performance last Tuesday, my husband commented that you were like a little boy walking around in your Daddy's shoes. Now, he wasn't saying that you were clomping around or ungraceful. As Ellen pointed out, you are quite sneaky on stage. He also wasn't discussing the "Deer in the Headlights" look you get on your face quite often.

No. It is just that you are really out of your league. If I pull you out of the competition and see you on stage in your high school auditorium, you are great. I am impressed and think you have a good voice. But when I watch you week after week, I see that you are just a boy trying to fill shoes you just aren't big enough for. I don't really think you will ever grow into them, either. I don't know. There is a small chance--you are young. But you aren't making the improvements the other contestants are making.

You also aren't seeming to take things seriously. Maybe you have a nervous habit where you laugh when criticized. If that is the case, I advise you to overcome that because that will be a, let's say, disruption to married life. You might be, as you say, just really happy to be on stage. If that is the case, try suppressing the laugh until you walk off. Laughing is super weird. I kind of doubt it is what Simon said. I doubt you are laughing because you know what they say doesn't matter. I mean, he is right. You have teenage girls and VFTW behind you all the way (you are their longest-running pick you know). But I don't think you are laughing because you know that you will stick around anyway. You seem like a better guy than that.

My money is on you not knowing how to respond, so you laugh. My motto is always "you can laugh or you can cry." Getting criticized week after week would lead you in one of those two situations--but try to avoid laughing until you have left the stage.



Sincerely,
Photobucket
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails