Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Dear Top 12 Guys...

Dear Top 12 Guys,

A pretty good night overall! Most of you did really well. Nothing was good enough that I will be buying it off of iTunes, though. But for a first night, lots of goodness going on. 

I must say that I am kind of tired of American Idol changing things up every.single.year at the top 24 stage. Let's find something that works and stick with it.

And let me also say that cutting half of the guys the first week is NOT something that works. I much preferred it back in the day when we cut down to the top 12 more slowly. You can't judge a contestant by one song. Some of these people are being really heard for the first time. Also, some have had a lot of back-story shared while others have had basically none.

Anyway, on to my thoughts from last night.

Clint

I am going to be honest here. I just don't like you because of how you treated JC during group night. That was low. I have never been enamored with your voice, either. However, you did do really well last night.





Jovany

You are a good singer. You hit things nicely. But this isn't state solo and ensemble competition--it is a competition to find someone who can command the charts. That wasn't chart-commanding style. I agreed with Randy on this.





Jordan

Oh Jordan. What happened there? I am not sure why you chose that song. I am hoping you got talked into it by producers (though I do think that is lame). I am not sure why you sang it when you emphatically stated that was not you. I think it is possible you blew it with that. Which just brings me back to not cutting 6 people in one night.




Tim

I really like you Tim. The performance was not a standout and I don't think it really showed you. I am interested to see exactly who you are, so I hope you come through, but there are so many standouts I don't know that there is room for someone who also didn't stand out--especially without a ton of camera time up to this point.




Brett

You did well and you are so quirky. 








James

Not my style, but you did really well and I would be shocked if you didn't make it to the top 12. And I think you deserve to be there.







Robbie

You have a great voice and did well. The song was a bit rushed for my tastes. But with all of the great guys there are, I am not sure if you will come through to the top 12 or not. You sing well, but you also sing very boy band-ish. Of course, that might bode well for you considering the number of young teenage girls who sit on their phones dialing all night long.



Scotty

You are without question my favorite guy. I am excited to have a country singer--a really good country singer--in the mix again. I voted for you! 






Stefano

I don't know what the judges and audience were hearing, because for me, it was so pitchy, it was painful. I was closing my eyes and turning my head. It seem more notes were off than on. 






Paul

Paul, I so enjoy you. You are my number two guy. I made sure to vote for you. I am a bit concerned because the more Indie style singers did not pull through during this stage of the competition. Or, I should say, voters did not pull through. I am really, really hoping you make top 12. You definitely deserve it so far as talent goes. 




Jacob
I am going to go ahead and admit that I am probably one of maybe 5-10 people in the country who does not love you. I am not seeing what the judges are seeing. You did really well last night, yes, but I usually find you far too over the top for me. However, I am positive you will be in the top 12 because if America doesn't put you there, the judges will.




Casey

Wow. So far as musical talent goes, you top the list of all of the contestants--not just the guys. You have amazing skills. I would put you number three in the guys for me. I do wish you had sung more, screamed less last night. I am pretty confident you will be top 12.





So, who do I think will be top 6 guys?

Without question, James, Scottie, Casey, and Jacob. I am really pulling for Paul.

My "I don't think so's" are Jordan and Stefano.

My people I could easily see go either way are Clint, Jovany (but you are on the line of no), Tim, Brett, and Robbie.

My personal ranking if I were the sole choser?

Top 5: Scotty, Paul, Casey, Tim, James

Bottom 4: Stefano, Clint, Jovany, Jordan

Middle 3: Brett, Robbie, Jacob--hard call which of these I would put into top 6.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails