Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Dear Top 12: My Reactions


Dear Top 12,

Overall, my reaction to last night is kind of just lukewarm. I think you all did well, but I think only one of you did great. Surprisingly, that one is not my favorite girl Didi, even thought the judges were all over it. Nor is it my favorite guy Andrew, even though he received compliments for the first time since Hollywood. It also is not Siobhan--a clear favorite of the judges. It was Lee. Lee, you were great. Here are some reactions to each individual:

Michael--You sang well. You are fun to watch on stage even if Simon thinks you are corny. But I just really can't see you going far past the American Idol stage. When I think about the genre you are trying to break into, you just don't match up to what is out there. Yes, you are a great singer. If you had come along 10 years ago, you might have done better. But there are plenty of R&B male singers out there.

Didi--In the words of Randy, you know I love you right? So, it wasn't awful. Mostly. But there were parts where you were kind of screaming. I think performance-wise, you did well. I am talking use of stage and your intensity. Vocally, not the best you have done or could do.

Casey--I just am not impressed with you. Maybe someday I will be. You know what? When they were running through the numbers at the end of the show, I honestly had forgotten you had even sung. Really strange for me. And as I type this, I can't remember what you sang.

Lacey--I actually think you did quite well last night. I don't in general really like your singing. Your vowels are much to wide for my taste. But you did well last night.

Andrew--Here is what I didn't like about that song. You weren't true to you. I just can't picture you ever singing that anywhere other than when playing Rock Band or on American Idol--at least not the way you sang it. I mean, on Rock Band you have no choice; you sing it how the disc plays it. But you do have a choice when you are on stage. However, maybe you are just trying to run away from anything related to Straight Up. Maybe you are trying to follow my advice I gave the other day.

Katie--You did a million times better than I expected. But I don't really want that to be criteria for how well you did at the moment. It was okay. It wasn't as horrible as it could have been. I can see potential with you in your singing ability. Some young people can sing ridiculously well (remember Little Davie?). You just need more time to mature. Yeah, I know that is hard to hear sometimes. I remember being 18 and hearing that from the Chamber director my Freshman year of college. But it is true.

Tim--Also not as bad as I thought it would be, but definitely not great. I didn't mind the Raggae vibe. I thought that was creative. But you haven't got the strength of voice other contestants do Unlike Katie, I don't really see time doing a whole lot for you.

Siobhan--Wow. Not a good wow. I am wowing the memory of the judges wowing you. I really disliked that. I liked that the least of all performances last night. Like Simon said, some will love it, others will hate it. I am definitely in the hate it category. He compared you to Adam, which I am sure will make many Adam-lovers mad (like how I got when he compared Pickler to my dear Carrie). You know, Adam wasn't my favorite, but I always could acknowledge that he did a good job. With you, it really sounds like screeching a lot. Really.

Lee--Best of the night. I loved it. Perfect.

Paige--It was okay. One of the bottom performances, though.

Aaron--This was much improved. It was not one of the worst of the night, which surprised me.

Crystal--I liked this one much better than many of your other performances (I really disagreed with the judges a lot last night!). I liked it. I could see me getting on your bandwagon someday maybe.

My Bottom Three:

  1. Tim

  2. Paige

  3. Katie
Siobhan is my least favorite of the night, but I still think she was better than those three.

My Top Three:

  1. Lee

  2. Crystal

  3. Didi
Overall, the group as a whole did well for a Top 12 week I think. I know there is much improvement to come. There weren't any WOW (good wow) moments. Lee did well, but it wasnt' wow. There also weren't any "tilt-my-head-in-effort-to-make-you-sound-better" moments.

Sincerely,

Photobucket
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails